Sunnyside historian, Thomas Malim, writes that “in 1920, the St. Francis Wood area was being developed, as were Westwood Park and Highlands. The developers and the early residents didin’t like Sunnyside Avenue (shown above in 1919, at Diamond Street looking west. Joost Avenue intersecting on right) running through their areas, so they petitioned City Hall to have the name changed to Monterey Boulevard. The residents of Sunnyside, led by Ernest Van Beck, (owner of the Sunnyside Conservatory) fought to retain the original name of the street, but the wealthy residents of those areas had more friends in City Hall and their power overcame that of their poorer cousins next door.”
Monterey Boulevard seen below in 1953 near Mount Davidson Cleaners. The former Texaco Station is in the distance at Ridgewood Avenue, whose name was changed from Hamburg Street around 1929. Named by Behrend Joost for a city in his native Germany, Hamburg maintained the east to west alphabetical progression of street names in Sunnyside. Malim writes, “the residents of Westwood Park and Highlands again joined forces and managed to have the name changed to Ridgewood, for the reason that Hamburg bordered their property, and the name wasn’t germane to the posts that heralded ones entry into the two Westwoods.” (Courtesy Private Collection.)
View of Monterey Boulevard at Yerba Buena fronting Westwood Highlands in 1927.
After getting out of the U.S. Navy, Ron Davis started working for this Sunnyside neighborhood barber shop at 719 Monterey Boulevard in 1957 and was able to purchase the business a year later. “The Barber’s” interest in San Francisco history led him to photographing historical events in the neighborhood as well as accepting pictures in exchange for haircuts which is he is generously sharing for this project.(Courtesy Ron Davis.)
Life is good in the Sunnyside District as Ron Davis cuts the hair of 102 year old Dr. Peters.
Ron is proud of his being mentioned in several of Herb Caen’s popular daily columns. (Courtesy Ron Davis.)
Old Monterey Pharmacy with Mobil Station in the background on Monterey at Genessee Avenue. (Courtesy Ron Davis.)
First stop sign on Monterey Boulevard installed in 1970 at Genessee Avenue after neighborhood petition and many accidents.(Courtesy Ron Davis.)
Ed and Al Arsento at their Monterey Hardware and Plumbing Store at 777 Monterey Boulevard before it closed in 1983.(Courtesy Ron Davis).
Construction of the Safeway Store next to old Servell Food Store in 1971.(Courtesy Ron Davis.)
Old Texaco Gas Station at Ridgewood and Monterey before replacement with apartments.(Courtesy Ron Davis.)
Ron “The Barber” Davis with his grandson, Christopher.(Courtesy Ron Davis.)